There are serious, potentially life-threatening risks involved with detoxing from alcohol—especially when you’re doing it on your own. If you choose to go through alcohol withdrawal at an inpatient treatment center, you will get round-the-clock care from a team of addiction specialists. The much safe alternative sober house is entering an inpatient or outpatient treatment program supervised by a team of healthcare providers who can provide you with the care you need. Many of the withdrawal symptoms discussed above are minor annoyances, but other than making someone uncomfortable, they are unlikely to pose any real threat.
- In the case of alcohol detox, the signs that the liver is performing this function are alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
- An integrated service involving community links and hospital-based services may be a cost-effective and efficient way of dealing with a range of problems.
- This is called post-acute withdrawal syndrome, and while the symptoms are typically mild, they are very common.3 Some medications and forms of therapy have been shown to help manage these symptoms.
- Outpatient detox programs, also known as community detox, allow you to balance your work and home responsibilities while ensuring your safety through the withdrawal process.
- Non-addictive, anti-craving medications may assist the individual in sustaining their recovery.
- It can help prevent dehydration and improve your withdrawal symptoms, however.
Our nursing experts stay with the client 24/7 while the client undergoes a detox in the comfort of their own home. EHD is the oldest and most comprehensive concierge level home detox program in the country. Our founder and president, Bill Carrick, along with the many partner physicians have decades of experience in helping our clients through our Private Home Detox.
Protocols may identify what medications to give at what time and for what symptoms. Protocols also take into consideration the need to decrease the detox medication over a certain period of time. Executive Home Detox has a number of protocols for the prescribing physician or detox nurse to consider when prescribing medication for detox.
While there are things you can do on your own to ease alcohol withdrawal symptoms, the best and safest option for anyone seeking to break the cycle of alcohol abuse is professional treatment. We believe in a holistic approach to recovery, and our medical detox treatment is often only the first step. We provide comprehensive care, including inpatient treatment, outpatient treatment, dual diagnosis, and therapies (such as CBT, DBT, and EMDR). People suffering from mild to severe alcohol addiction may be able to detox at home.
Nationally Recognized Drug & Alcohol Detox at Home
On the other hand, those suffering from severe to acute alcohol addiction must seek professional help. There are many reasons why a medical detox program outperforms an attempted alcohol detox at home. As mentioned previously, at-home detoxes can be dangerous and unsuccessful.
- Twenty (56%) day hospital detoxification patients were successfully re-interviewed.
- Patients reported drinking a mean 178 U of alcohol (the equivalent of approximately 5.5 bottles of spirits) in the week before detoxification.
- Long-term recovery from AUD involves identifying the underlying causes of addiction or substance abuse and developing the skills to overcome them.
- When seeking treatment for alcoholism, understanding the risks and benefits of both at-home alcohol detox and alcohol detox programs is essential.
- There are many reasons why a medical detox program outperforms an attempted alcohol detox at home.
- Re-assessment of your home detox treatment will be performed as often as is necessary to ensure a stable and successful recovery.
Our residential rehab program offers dual diagnosis drug and alcohol addiction treatment to heal the mind, body, and soul. Summit Malibu is Joint Commission Accredited and licensed by the California Department of Health Care Services. If you’re considering treatment for alcohol addiction, the first step will likely be an alcohol detox. While everyone detoxes differently and it depends on the amount of alcohol your body is used to, this level of care typically lasts three to five days.
Monitor Symptoms Closely
Facing DTs while attempting an alcohol detox at home can be highly dangerous. Most individuals are not equipped with the right tools or knowledge to navigate withdrawal symptoms like seizures on their own. While it is a rare complication, it is not something someone should risk encountering by themself. In their least severe forms, some withdrawal symptoms may persist for several weeks after detox. It is also worth noting that individuals with more severe addictions or a history of past detoxes are more likely to experience severe withdrawal symptoms. At-home detoxes are less likely to succeed and more likely to involve dangerous complications than those supervised by a medical professional.
Are bananas good for detoxing?
Bananas contain a lot of useful substances and at the same time have cleaning properties – they remove toxins and stimulate the work of the intestines. Bananas are rich in vitamins, as well as in potassium, which has a beneficial effect on the metabolism and skin condition.
Nestled in a tranquil setting just outside of Orlando, our mental health facility provides patients with a safe place to reflect, reset and heal. First, why are people less likely to successfully stop drinking alcohol at home than they are in a specialized detox center? On the other hand, those who detox at home could have alcohol anywhere. Therefore, if you have already experienced withdrawal in the past, it is even more important for you to avoid attempting an alcohol detox at home. Due to the fact that you are more likely to face worse symptoms, it is best to seek professional assistance during detox. Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal may begin from 4 to 12 hours after you stop drinking.